Sweet potato fries are a favorite side of mine. These are sliced fresh and baked until golden delicious. I season them to suit my mood or to compliment the other items being served.
You can peel the sweet potato if you want. I enjoy it with the skin on and my husband would prefer it peeled. I usually compromise and peel about half of the skin off. That way, we each are happy. Julienne the potato in about 1/4 inch fries. Place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 TBS olive oil and toss to evenly coat the fries. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. seasoning of choice. Sea salt, Mrs. Dash, or cinnamon are few of my favorites. Place in the preheated oven. After five minutes, toss the fries and turn to bake evenly. My fries usually are done in 10 minutes. If you cut them a little thicker or like them a little crispier, continue to flip them every five minutes until you are satisfied.
Don’t be afraid to mix it up a little. When I was making a side for the Jamaican Jerk Turkey Burger, I used a chili infused olive oil and sprinkled with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. It was a PERFECT match for the meal.
The sweet potato is high in fiber and we have baked it. Healthy swaps are what it is all about. Healthy eating FULL of flavor.
Mom Cooks Clean
- 1 large sweet potato — about 1 pound
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt or seasoning of choice.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Peel sweet potato if desired.
- Julienne sweet potato in approximately 1/4 inch slices.
- Place potatoes on baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil on potatoes and toss to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle with sea salt or seasoning of choice.
- Place in oven.
- After 5 minutes, use a spatula to turn and flip potatoes to evenly brown.
- Bake until crispy, approximately 10 – 15 minutes depending on how thick you sliced the sweet potato.
- A favorite of mine: chili infused olive oil sprinkled with cinnamon.