While at the farmers market I picked up a bunch of fresh picked carrots. I felt it to be such a waste to throw out the top. Fragrant and green, the tops were so appetizing.
After chatting with the farmer he mentioned that he likes to make his carrot tops into pesto or eats them on a salad. What a fantastic idea! Hence, carrot top pesto was created!
The recipe is simple. In a high speed blender or food processor mix carrot tops, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, and lemon.
I enjoyed my carrot top pesto with toasted pitas. See our gluten free toasted pitas here!
If you don’t have carrot tops, but are still in the mood for pesto try our walnut pesto!
- 1 cup carrot tops steams removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts toasted (can substitute cashews if desired)
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor until desired consistency.