Several sections of this post go along with the previous post for Chicken Fajita Bowl, so I will recap some of the process. Menu planning for the week included Brown Rice Pilaf, Chicken Rice Fajita Bowl, and Chicken Shish Kabob. You will need:
- 1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breast
When I made my grocery list for the week I knew I would need three pounds of chicken breast. Arriving home from grocery shopping, I cut the chicken breasts into 1 1/2 inch square cubes.
I separated the chicken into two separate plastic storage bags. One for the fajita bowl and one for the kabobs.
In the bag for the chicken kabobs I added:
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS Jamaican Jerk Seasoning — feel free to substitute your favorite spice blend
Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
During meal prep, I cut assorted veggies in 1 1/2 inch cubes to match the approximate size of the chicken breasts. Be creative and add plenty of your favorites. I chose:
- 1 red sweet pepper
- 1 yellow sweet pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 vidalia onion
- Mix and match YOUR favorites…mushrooms, cherry tomato, pineapple, yellow squash…..
If you are using wooden skewers, you will need to soak them in water for a minimum of 15 minutes, but if you want to soak them and place in the fridge with your chicken you can.
Arrange your veggies and chicken on the skewers. I like a veggie on each side of the chicken. You want your veggies close to the chicken to keep it moist while grilling, but you do not want to make it too tight. Leave space for each individual item to cook properly.
Another option is to soak your skewers, layer your meat and veggies on the skewer, and marinate the entire kabob. Base your decision on how much time you have to prepare the meal at dinner time and what works best for you.
Heat the grill to medium. I like to use a grill screen over the grate so I do not loose any pieces and to prevent sticking. Turn shish kabobs every 5 minutes to cook each side. They will take 15 to 20 minutes to cook thoroughly.
Mom Cooks Clean
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 red sweet pepper cut in 1 1/2 inch squares
- 1 yellow sweet pepper cut in 1 1/2 inch squares
- 1 zucchini cut in 1/3 inch slices
- 1/2 vidalia onion cut in 1 1/2 inch squares
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- Cut chicken breast into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place chicken, lime juice, olive oil, and seasoning in a plastic storage bag and massage seasoning into chicken breasts.
- Place chicken in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water at least 15 minutes or overnight to prevent burning.
- Add veggies and chicken to skewers.
- Have a veggie on each side of the chicken.
- Keep the individual ingredients close, but do not press or compress.
- You want the veggies to keep the chicken moist when grilling and still leave room for each item to cook properly.
- On medium heat, place skewers on grill
- Consider using a grill screen over the grate to prevent sticking or loosing parts of the kabob.
- Turn skewers every 5 minutes to cook each side.
- It should take 15 to 20 minutes to cook thoroughly.
- **Alternate method**
- Layer chicken and veggies on soaked skewers and marinate the entire kabob for at least 30 minutes or overnight.